Suggest treatment for bad taste in mouth and bad breadth

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Struggling with bad taste in my mouth with kind of a weird film in the back of my throat. It's causing me to have bad breath and it's making me nuts. I go the dentist 2x per year...thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly post nasal drip.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From the information you have given, I think you may be suffering from post nasal drip. This occurs when mucus builds up in the back of your nose and throat. It is a sign of sinusitis, rhinitis or infections. One of the common problems is bad breath. In order to determine what may be causing a post nasal drip, it helps to consider if any other symptoms are present. These may be signs of infection such as fever or signs of allergy such as itching eyes or runny nose. You may have nasal polyps.
In the first instance it would be worth trying a decongestant. These contain pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine and can be bought over the counter. You should be cautious about their use if you have high blood pressure. They can be tablets or nasal sprays. If there is an element of allergic rhinitis then an antihistamine may help.
If neither of these simple measures produces any benefit after 3 to 5 days then I suggest you see your doctor for further assessment. A steroid nasal spray may be of help but this would need to be prescribed. If no improvement is forthcoming then assessment by an ear, nose and throat specialist may be required.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr k A Pottinger