Suggest treatment for bacterial folliculitis

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi
My son has this kind of rush. It idoes not itch . He was away on school trip and just came back today. This started 2 days ago. Please advise
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial folliculitis Or ingrown hair; Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Images.

This is either bacterial folliculitis Or ingrown hair. Shaving is the likely reason for this.

I suggest a course of an Oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxycillin Or Cephalexin for a week.
Topically he may use an antibacterial cream e.g 2% mupirocin cream, twice daily.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
So, oral antiboatic and cream both or only one of them
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Preferably both, Oral and Topical antibiotics, because there are numerous lesions. Oral and topical antibiotics together will be more effective.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist