Suggest treatment for back pain

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had a Laminectomy and a foraminotomy but am still dealing with back pain and some siatica.I am 3 and 1/2 months post op. But have been told and had M R I showing that I have degenerative disc disease,degenerative arthritis and spondylothisis (spelling). I can not walk standing completely upright, I shift from side to side as I walk, my left illuminate is tilted forward and up. Walking even very short distances is torture. I am on 50mg Lyrica ×3 daily and 500MG Methocarbam ×3 daily. I still work 10 hours a day at least 4 days a week often 5. I am in almost in constant pain unless in my recliner or sitting in my car, even laying in bed is most often quite painful. My spinal physician is quite XXXXXXX and at times will tell me that I need rods to stabilize the spondylothisis but as the post op time lengthens he gives the impression that he doesn't understand why I am in so much pain and his P A even said he wanted me to start walking for exercise. Neither one has ever watched me walk even across the exam roon. In your opinion what are my needs and options? Thank you so much and may God bless YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

How was your day?
Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

Actually i feel bad for you that even at this age you are going through so much agony and suffering and over that you still work for so many hours.

Coming to the treatment part, well pains after a spine surgery usually last from average 3- 6 months postoperatively, depending on the patients age,bone quality, disease suffered and the accuracy of the surgery.

I agree fully with you that after 3 months after surgery you should be experiencing so much of pain that could affect the activities of daily living..

My question is, has the doctor put rods for stabilising spondylolisthesis during the surgery or has only disc prolapse been treated with laminectomy.

we genrally do both surgeries simultaneously.
If he has treated only your disc problem and not the listhesis, then you will keep experiencing the pain forever.
But i am afraid, i dont think you should be undergoing another spine surgery again as it will aggravate the problems.

presently i see 2 options-

OPTION 1 - use a lumbosacral corset with a rigid frame in it while you work.
That will take 75 % pressure off your spine immediately and relieve you from pain.
If you get relief by this you need not worry about spondylolisthesis ever in your life again

OPTION 2 - get a fresh mri done again now and find out what the exact cause of pain is.

Even though you have been advised to walk and ambulate, if its causing pain,you should definitly avoid it and take rest.

Exercises, as far as i feel, i dont think you can tolerate them at this stage.

i will be in a better position to help you if you can upload a old xray/mri and a new one. just try doing it.. THEN i can guide you better

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     
I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina