Suggest treatment for back pain

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I have been having pain when I sleep on my back (lying flat). The pain is located underneath my right scapula and is confined to my back only. It is uncomfortable enough, probably a 6/10, that I cannot tolerate sleeping on my back anymore and the best position to alleviate the pain is to sleep on my left side; I can sleep on my right side and in a semi fowlers position too without the pain occuring. I can't say it really hurts more when I take a deep breath. Honestly, the pain is getting to be more of an annoyance than anything else. Again, I never feel the pain except when I go to lie down flat on my back.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have read your query
I think there are two major possibilities-

1. some kind of musculoskeletal disorder- this may be due to the involvement of the muscles or the bones. Their involvement may cause pain. And the pain is localized due to possible involvement of one side only

2. some lung/pleural condition- however the chances are less. As you have mentioned that there is no increase of the pain increasing on breathing.

I think you should really get two tests
1. CT Chest- this will be able to test both- the lungs as well as the chest wall
2. SPE- this is a blood test for a disease that causes musculoskeletal involvement

Best of luck
Dr Mittal