Suggest treatment for back pain

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I always have back pain. ...please let me know how to reduce. ..
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Going to need a bit of Info first.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for coming to HealthcareMagic.

There are unfortunately many many causes of Back pain. So to try and make our discussion useful to you and narrow down the possibilities I would like you to try and answer the following questions to the best of your knowledge. The more information you can give me the more useful I can be to you.

1. How did the pain start? When did it start? Was it sudden or gradual?

2. Does the pain have a pattern? For instance its it worse in the morning and gets better through the day?

3. Can you describe where in the back the pain starts? Does it move to other places or does it stay in one place?

4. When you bend forward or backward, does the pain change in any way?

5. What brings on or increases your pain and what makes you feel better? This includes whether you feel better with activity or with rest.

6. Do you have any related symptoms, such as leg pain, weakness, or numbness; or problems with your bowels or bladder.

7. Do you know if you have had any spine problems since birth (congenital spine problems).

8. Have you ever been diagnosed with any type of arthritis?

9. Have you ever injured your back?

10. Last but certainly not least, do you smoke?

If you can answer these questions for me, it will go a long way to figuring out what is going on and helping me work with you on a plan to deal with this pain.

Looking forward to your reply,

Vinay

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for back pain 16 hours later
as I am software professional. I need to work by sitting In one place. I get pain on my waist and back. I rare do walking and all.i have not shown any doctor. yes if I bend forward I get some relief. I sometimes feel knee pain but not regularly...I dont have any problem since birth...this is happening from when I started working. please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sounds like you have arthritis, physical therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for following up.

The fact that you are getting relief when you bend forward and the fact that you have occasionally suffered from knee pain makes me believe that you are suffering from Arthritis of the Lumbar spine.

It's a very common condition. Not to worry. The first two things I want you to look into when dealing with this:

1) Weight loss
2) Physical Therapy

I'm sorry, but I neglected to ask your height and weight. So if you are overweight, try and look into some weight loss and regular exercise to lose about 10% of your bodyweight. Statistically, it has been shown that more than 2/3rds of people who suffer from back pain get better with 10% weight loss. So if you think you can, try this out.

2) Physical Therapy: The idea behind this is to strengthen the muscles and ligaments of the lower back. This is proven to work in almost 100% of cases. A good Physical therapist should be able to guide you through the exercises for a few days and then you can do the rest on a regular basis at home.

I hope this helps, let me know what you think,

Vin