Owl Image

Suggest treatment for back pain while on Gabapentin

Owl Image
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Question
I am taking high doses of Gabapentin for sever back pain following two (failed) back surgeries: my Lumbar spine is fused. I also take Prozac. My back has severely limited my ability top exercise and I am overeating compulsively: would Contrave be useful? So my current medications contraindicate its use?
Sat, 16 Dec 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes... contrave would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi scheman.kom
Thanks for the query. I undrstand your concern.
Repeated spinal sugery fsilures followed by severe back pain .. resulting in spinal fusion (with difficulty in exercises & back ache not respondong to 2 caps of Gabapentine per day....must have lead to drpression &compulsive over eating... increased body weight followed by increase in back pain...all of these forming a vicious circle...
To reduce body weight remains the important part of managing the thing (where exercises are not possible due to spinal fusion.. nor dieting is possible due to psychological deptession following the pain)
In such a condition Contrave would help in diet control... the drug acts directly on brain in two ways. It acts on brain center of hunger &also helps by stopping compulsive over eating by it's anti depressant property.
I would duggest to start the drug with psychiatrist's opinion for it's suitability to your health &aldo needful dosage.
Once the wright is controlled... the pain eould lessen &would allow dome exercises (physiotherapy) to add to your pain relief.
I hope that helps you.Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for back pain while on Gabapentin 1 hour later
are either Prozac or Gabapentin contraindicated use with Contrave?

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prozac&Contrave do have some interactions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi Scheman. Korn,
Thanks for the follow up query.
There is no known incompatibility between Gabapentine & contrave .. but prozac does show some interaction with Contrave.So your doctor may change the combination....after scrutinising the possibility in your case. Please follow your expert's advise.
I hope your query is answered .Any more follow up queriy you have,please feel free to ask.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for back pain while on Gabapentin 8 hours later
what are the potential prozac/contrave interactions? I understand that one of the active meds in Cintrave is Wellbutrib: is that the issue (is two anti depressants) or are there other contraindications--and if so, what?

Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Find the explaination below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxx.xxx,
Thanks for the follow up query.
Yes you have guessed it correctly.It's issue of two antidepressants working together (Prozac & Bupropion as one of the ingradient of Contrave) having risk of increased depression to cause suicidal tendensy....thus causing untoward drug interaction.
*Though it is observed to be more risky upto age of 24 & risk decreases after 65 years ... it's desired to be scrutinised by a psychatrist before the drugs are combined/changed the combination according to personal variations.
*Other contra indications to Contrave are-
-uncontrolled blood pressure
-History of severe allergies
- Taking any other drug having sedative effect (like cough syrup)
*So though Contrave has remarkable effect for weight reduction it is a prescribtion drug ...
I hope you are satisfied with the answer. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.