Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for back pain due to disc bulge

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I am a CNA and I hurt my back while caring for a patient. The MRI says that at the L4-L5 level, there is minimal left paracentral disc bulge with left sided lateralization, There is annular tear noted. There is very minimal left central canal stenosis and moderate left neuroforaminal stenosis from the disc bulge.

Diagnosis: 1. 2mm left paracentral and lateral disc bulge at the L4-L5 level. There is annular tear noted. Disc bulge gives minimal left canal and moderate left neuroforaminal stenoses. 2. Otherwise, unremarkable MRI of the lumbar spine. No fracture or subluxation seen.
What does this mean? Will I be able to work as a CNA again?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A disc prolapse with stenosis of the foramina

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
As per your report, You are having a disc prolapse with stenosis of the foramina from which nerves come out causing the nerve compression in lumbar spine.
It occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis.
The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective.
You will be able to work as CNA again after proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor