Suggest treatment for back pain due to disc bulge

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am a CNA and I hurt my back while caring for a patient. The MRI says that at the L4-L5 level, there is minimal left paracentral disc bulge with left sided lateralization, There is annular tear noted. There is very minimal left central canal stenosis and moderate left neuroforaminal stenosis from the disc bulge.

Diagnosis: 1. 2mm left paracentral and lateral disc bulge at the L4-L5 level. There is annular tear noted. Disc bulge gives minimal left canal and moderate left neuroforaminal stenoses. 2. Otherwise, unremarkable MRI of the lumbar spine. No fracture or subluxation seen.
What does this mean? Will I be able to work as a CNA again?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A disc prolapse with stenosis of the foramina

Detailed Answer:
As per your report, You are having a disc prolapse with stenosis of the foramina from which nerves come out causing the nerve compression in lumbar spine.
It occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis.
The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective.
You will be able to work as CNA again after proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal