Suggest treatment for back pain caused by severe muscle pain

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 5 Feb 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,
I am experiencing pain/shock sensation in the upper back left side portion. I suspect that it is a muscle pain. However I am scared if it is related to any other threatening issues. I have started experiencing this in the morning after getting up from bed 2 days back. The pain has started to subside now but i still get the shock sensation at times. It is not unbearable.

Do you think I need to consult a doctor immediately or wait and watch for a couple of days?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of muscle spasm, take pain killers and muscle relaxants

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
You seem to be having muscle spasm of the back muscles leading to pain sensation.
This is usually wrong posturing.
Such pain usually subsides in 5-7 days.
For pain relief, you can take muscle relaxants and pain killers.
Please tell if you have the following symptoms so that other causes can be ruled out:
1. Chronic cough
2.Any sensory loss in lower limbs
3. Difficulty in walking
4. Long standing fever
5. Any urinary or bowel difficulties.
6. Any skin eruptions over the involved region (possibility of herpes zoster)
If the above symptoms are not present, then there is no scope of any other threatening issue.
You can wait for a couple of days.
If the pain is not relieved by then, in that case you can consult a neurologist for proper examination and treatment.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am not having any of the said symptoms. I am feeling much better now :-) For now I am relying on the Tiger Balm patches hoping that it would improve my condition. Please let me know in case i need to do anything else.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
continue medications as advised

Detailed Answer:
If local pain killer ointment, patch or spray is giving relief then nothing else is required.
Hope you recover early.
regards
Dr N Kumar
neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina