Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for back pain caused by large hard mass under skin between hip and rib cage

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6483 Questions
I have pain in my back on my lower right side. Have had for some time. Last week I detected a large hard mass well under my skin and between my right hip and my rib cage. Seems to have a well rounded surface and is very hard. Nothing like it in the same location on my left side? Thought it might be a bone, but seems to be an inch or two below the rib cage.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: First you need MRI of lumbar spine. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You need proper clinical examination and investigations. You may have problems in lumbar spine,so firstly X-ray of lumbar spine in AP/Lateral view should be taken.MRI of lumbar spine should also be done as it can assess nerve involvement.Pain may be due to disc prolapse. Beside this you need routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Urine RE/ME,Serum calcium and Vitamin D level,Thyroid profile.Further investigations can be done if needed. From history it seems that swelling is subcutaneous in position.You need proper clinical examination.There are many causes of swelling.It can be confirmed in X-rays,Ultrasound or CT Scan. FNAC/Biopsy may be needed.Treatment depends upon findings. Back pain can be managed conservatively.Hot compression and physiotherapy helps a lot. Deep ultrasound therapy also helps. There are also other modalities in pain management.It can be discussed with doctor. Surgical intervention depend upon investigation reports. Medicines like pregabalin is helpful in neuropathic pain.You can take this. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor