question-icon

Suggest treatment for back and shoulder pain

Posted on Mon, 30 Nov 2015
Question: The nerves on myback right shoulder & some on left are very painful from spasms. This seemed to happen when I started wearing polyester long nap fleece. I'm thinking this has something to do with it. I take robaxin for pain and gabapentin as a muscle relaxant. The relief is only temporary. I lost ten pounds earlier in the year because of temp swallowing probablem, but eat more now. I weigh 100 lb & female in good health 74 yr.
Thank you for your opinion. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Can be due to cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain on the back and shoulder can be related to muscle spasms or cervical spondylosis. You should do following to have relief -
-At least have an x ray of cervical spine. Best will be to have a MRI of spine.
-Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles.
-Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer.
-Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck.
-Test for levels of vitamin B12, If low do take Vitamin B12 supplements.
-Take help of a physiotherapist .He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL XXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon