Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for back and muscle pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5164 Questions
Hi....I can't seem to get any help. After cutting down trees for 2 days, and then twisting while working on a car, I suddenly had sudden extreme pain in my back. I had rib # 9 and 10 pushed in so they were behind my spine for 8 months before any doctor could determine the cause of my extreme pain. Once ribs were pushed back, I was better but only if I didn't do anything. Now almost 2 years later, still incapable of doing anything....very tight sore back and neck muscles. My ribs feel like they move around and rub on bone. They are still in place but feel like they move....pain from back all around to front of chest. I am in constant discomort and muscle spasm. I have had mri, cat one can figure out what to do. Doctor's say, I have heard of it but have never seen it. I have been to several specialists including neurologist, chiropractor, orthopedic surgeon, Neurosurgeon in Boston. What kind of doctor do I see? What test is needed and can the ribs be taken out...I'll sign for surgery tomorrow. Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult good spine surgeon or thoracic surgeon . Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. I appreciate your pain tolerance for so long time. I will advise you to consult good spine surgeon or thoracic surgeon so that he can fix your problem of rib and spine. Surgeries for rib can be difficult due to long time of injury [2 years]. You may need dynamic study of imaging as during movement there can be displacement of ribs leading to pain.2 yrs after injury there can be possibility of arthritis of costochondral junction. Later on follow rehabilitation and physiotherapy. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor