Suggest treatment for back and knee pain
Thanks for posting your query.
Lower back pain and knee pain is quite COMMON among middle aged individuals. Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe lower back pain. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.
Arthritic changes in the joints and decrease in joint lubricants adds to the pain in the weight bearing joints like knee.
Some other underlying causes like Sciatica, Spondylitis, Lumbar herniated disc, Degenerative disc disease, Isthmic spondylolisthesis etc should be ruled out through clinical examination and radiological investigation (like X- ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI etc). Kindly, consult with Orthopedic surgeon regarding this for proper management of the case.
TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce the pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged joint and lower back pain.
2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation. You need proper prescription from your doctor. Do get joint lubricants prescribed.
4) Exercise: It is a key element of almost any back pain and knee pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.
It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.
It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. Do get your Vitamin D3 levels evaluated and start with supplements in case these are below normal.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for knee pain relief
- Knee pain treatment
- Injection treatment for knee pain
- Back pain and knee pain
- Knee pain back of knee
- Extreme back of knee pain
- Suggest some exercise for back pain and knee pain
- Suggest treatment for knee pain
- Anterior knee pain treatment
- Meniscus knee pain treatment
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?