Suggest treatment for attention deficit disorder

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Good evening doctor , I m xxxx from xxxxx, I have been suffering from attention disorder each and every time while doing any task at hand. I m a graduate student and whenever I sit for study ,I cannot focus at all,its making my life miserable,its been more than 3yrs since I have benn suffering from this. Its not tat all those past events are bothering me nor the future events. I least care about the failures tat I had. I just want to study and look for better future .But this attention deviates almost the whole time i sit for study. When i sit for studies the problem is tat I m more conscious of the surrounding things arounds me,my focus just goes to things around me. Please suggest me some REMEDY urgently coz this is making my life a living HELL.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
possibility of attention deficit disorder

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.
You are likely of age of 20-25.

Your problem is more related to study. Main symptom is lack of concentration. It may be one of the symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder. For confirmation of diagnosis detail history and mental status examination are required.

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a psychiatric condition in which person has difficulty in concentrating at a particular task, restlessness, and irritability and secondary occupational or social disturbances.
It is treated with medications like amphatamines, atomoxetine or bupropion after diagnosis is confirmed. This disorder is treated by psychiatrist.
These medicines are prescription medicines and prescribed by psychiatrist only.

For urgent help you should consult local psychiatrist and start the treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 14 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the answer.
Doc I m so desperate and frustrated. Can I take the medication amphetamines,atomoxerine or bupropion that you have mentioned above.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can but only after consulting doctor personally

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

One of the medicines from above will be helpful likely. But dose and duration can be prescribed after thorough evaluation only. These are prescription drugs and you need to consult doctor to take the prescription. Online prescription is not valid. I am sorry for limitation from our side. It is better to take medicine after consulting local doctor so any side effect occurs by chance doctor can provide immediate help.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 47 hours later
Is this disorder curable? If so then how much time will it take to cure this disorder of mine after I start taking the prescribed medication by psychiatrist?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is curable after sufficient treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Yes ADD is curable after sufficient treatment. It takes 6 to 10 weeks for complete improvement if response to medicine is good. Simultaneously counseling and behaviour therapy are necessary so after stopping the medicines problem does not reappear.
After complete improvement medicines can be stopped gradually depending upon clinical scenario in 4-6 months.

If still any query there, I will be happy to answer. If not, you can close the discussion and if feasible give your feedback and rating so I can improve my service. In future you can contact me directly on this site if you wish with this link:
http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki
by clicking on 'Ask me a question' on same page

All the best.