Suggest treatment for atrophic vaginitis

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: i have been diagnosed with atrophic vaginitis and notice that i sometimes bleed very very slightlly when wiping myself after urinating. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Estrogen Cream / gel

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

Atrophic vaginitis has decreased wetness ( mucous secretion ) due to lack of estrogen hormone. When you touch the mucosal part for wiping, it leads to friction and slight blood comes out.

You need HRT as well as local estrogen cream / gel to overcome this problem.

When you visit doctor on monday, request for estrogen cream / gel till HRT starts acting.

I hope my answer was helpful.

Dr. Soumya

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari