Suggest treatment for atrial fibrillation

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have Afib. Trying to decide if I should take a blood thinner and which one. What is your opinion? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that there is a score to determine your future risk for stroke related to atrial fibrillation:CHA2DS2-VASc score.

The long-term risk of stroke in valvular atrial fibrillation (AF) depends on clinical predictors, which are collectively assessed in the CHADS2 scoring scheme, the presence of Congestive heart failure,hypertension, Age>75, Diabetes mellitus, and prior Stroke.

A score of 2 or greater indicates a high risk of stroke and the necessity of starting anticoagulation therapy.

As anticoagulant, considering your age and if there is no presence of heart valve disease, I would suggest trying new anticoagulant drugs, which do not need blood monitoring of INR for their dosing. They are easy to take and have the same benefits as warfarin in atrial fibrillation.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri