• question-icon

Suggest treatment for atrial fibrillation in a person with severe ADHD

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Yes, I am wondering if there is a non-stimulant medication for ADHD that my husband could take. He is 68 years old and has atrial fibrillation, so his cardiologist told him not to take ANY stimulants. He has severe ADHD, and felt and performed much better years ago, before he developed atrial fib, when he took Adderall for a couple of years. Is there anything he can safely take?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

There are 3 non-stimulant medications approved for use for ADHD. These are guanfacine, clonidine, and atomoxetine. Any one of these should be safe with atrial fibrillation and may help with ADHD.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist