Suggest treatment for atherosclerosis

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: what is The aorta and iliac vessels demonstrate atherosclerotic changes
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that the aorta is the larger and main blood vessel (artery) in our body, which supplies the blood from the heart to all the organs.

The iliac vessels are two smaller arteries which supply the blood to the pelvic organs (urinary bladder, etc.) and the lower limbs.

Atherosclerosis is a chronic degenerative process, which involves the arteries, causing progressive narrowing, and calcifications. It is caused by aging, obesity, dyslipidemia, chronic hypertension, diabetes, smoking, etc..

The proper treatment of these risk factors, leads to stopping of the progression of this disorder.

Atherosclerotic changes in the aorta and iliac vessels indicates that these vessels have undergone some changes like narrowing and calcifications, leading to lower blood flow in them.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist