Suggest treatment for atherosclerosis

Posted on Tue, 9 Dec 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was diagnosed with a 99% blockage - right carotid artery and 50% blockage - left carotid artery in 2003 and no surgery is being recommended as I am asymptomatic. I have had two angiograms - last one in 2005 - both were negative with the last one having better results than the first one. I have high blood pressure when I go to the doctor (160/80) - otherwise my bp is normal and is often lower than 120/80/72. I do experience high heart rate though intermittently - 82 to 95 bpm even while at rest and my bp will be 95/65. I was taking Toprol XL-25 mg for 14 years and stopped taking it last year as my heart rate kept going too low. I felt like my heart was skipping a lot of beats and was going to stop. I just had my annual physical and my doctor saw some EKG changes and is wanting me to start taking Atenolol-25 mg, Lisinopril-10mg, and Pravachol-10 mg, and Ecotrin-81mg daily. I do not wish to take all these meds. Is there anything I can do - like more exercise, diet, etc. I was on Lipitor in 2006, even though my cholesterol numbers were good (I think for the carotid artery plaque) and had to be taken off as I was having leg pains. Two weeks after stopping it I awoke at 4 a.m. coughing up blood (I was coughing quite a lot for several months after I started the Lipitor but I was not coughing up blood). I ended up having emergency lung surgery and had a left resection of the upper lobe. So I am really afraid to take another statin drug. My usual cholesterol numbers are 194, triglycerides - 121, HDL Cholesterol-62 and Chol/HDL ratio 3.1.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet, Sport, if this isn't enough than...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

I read your query very carefully and understood your concerns.

Based on data you provided you suffer for atherosclerosis which is manifested with carotid stenosis. I would like to say that you have to bettercontrol your BP and HR. By doing so you will decrease the probability of major cardiovascular complications.

This is why i suggest to take the prescribed doses of Atenolol, Lisinopril and Ecotrin.

Your Cholesterol numbers should be lowered further in order to avoid major complications. As a first step I would like to suggest A healthy lifestyle (Mediterranean diet with a lot of sport and exercise). If after three months Total Cholesterol is still >150 mg/dl and LDL cholesterol is > 100 mg/dl, you should start Pravachol in order to achieve the lowering of Cholesterol.

Hope this was of Help!
Dr. Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist