Suggest treatment for asthmatic cough

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My wife (59 yrs) is diagonised as a mild Asthma patient.She is suggested for Budamet inhaler two times each time twice a day and Tablet Odiment 10mg once during night.But the dry cough continues,no relief, it is the 6th day,throat is burning. Need immediate relief.

XXXX XXXXXXX XXXX, XXXXXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take odimont LC instead of plain odimont.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your wife's situation and problem.
Dry cough is common in asthma.
And so combination of antihistamine and anti allergic drugs are recommended.
Odimont is having only montelukast (anti allergic).
So better to take combination of antihistamine (fexofenadine or levocetrizine) and anti allergic (montelukast) for cough suppression.
Sometimes poor inhalation technique can also cause dry coughing.
It is very important to rinse mouth after inhaler use. Not following this can also cause dry coughing.
So ask your wife to rinse mouth with plain water after budamate use.
And discuss with your doctor about starting combination instead of plain odimont.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your wife. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 13 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Bhavsar,

Kindly refer to our references yesterday, I had given my wife Odimont LC last night instead of Odimont -10 mg.

She spent another sleepness night due to heavy & continuous cough .Now,the cough has liquified but not coming out.Throat is paining.

I am enclosing the PFT Report done on 10.10.15. The cough requires to be ejected out. Can you suggest any medication for the same ?

Thanking you,

XXXX
Husband of Ms. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
She needs mucolytic, expectorant and antioxidants drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
I have gone through the PFT report you have attached.
This report clear cut indicates that she is having asthma.
Best treatment of asthma is, identification of allergen and if possible complete avoidance of it.
So avoid dust, pollens, animal fur, pollution, chemical fumes etc.
She will improve with N acetyl cysteine (NAC).
NAC is having mucolytic, expectorant and antioxidants properties.
This will help in removing expectoration.
Continue budamate and odimont LC.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on XXXX