Suggest treatment for asthmatic bronchitis with shortness of breath and cough

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 3 Aug 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi,
Firstly, hoping all is well.
I have been suffering from asthmatic bronchitis for about four weeks now. I am still a bit short of breath and have coughing fits when outside in cold air. I am certainly improving but still struggling a bit. I am supposed to take a two hour flight in four hours time. Is it safe to travel.. for myself and for others? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Travel with due precautions.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxx,
I have read your query & understand your concern.
* Firstly, as you are still in phase of recovery, you are still short of breaths / coughing on exposure to cold & your resistance might be low, I would suggest to postpone / cancel the travel at this time if possible.
*But, if it is a must ,you can think of going if-
- You don't get breathless on mild exertion,
- You do not have cough with expectoration,specially yellow in color.
While temperature in air flight is mostly maintained at lower side....you can travel by air safely with due precaution because your X ray does not show any abnormality & atmospheric pressure , oxygen levels are well maintained in plane & oxygen mask is provided if needful.
* Opinion of your treating doctor should be considered as a final advise.. as he knows your health status well. Please consult him personally / at least on telephone please.He may advise for few more medications during the travel
* Precautions during travel include-
- You protect & cover yourself sufficiently while in travel to airport/ in the
flight itself( including scarf protecting throat & frontal area...& a mask to
avoid infection & cold air entering nostrils.
- Get provision of a wheel chair ..for landing the plane.
- You should avoid things you are allergic to including cold drinks/water. Hot
drinks would be preferred.
- You take your medicines in time .carry your medicines & inhalers in cabin
bag.
I hope, you find the answer to be informative & useful in taking decision.Any follow up query is welcome.