Suggest treatment for asthma and hypertension

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear Sir,

For past 5 years I am suffering from BP & Asthma. I am feeling my health is going on down curve. Is it possible can I come out BP & Asthma.
My weight : 72
High :- 5`6"

Please help.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be controlled and not cured.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
First of all you need to understand that Asthma and Hypertension (High BP) can be just controlled and not cured.
You need to take appropriate medicines for that. Once your BP comes to a desired level on the medications, you have to continue those medicines as your BP is controlled on the medicines and not spontaneously.
BP effects your kidney's , eyes, heart and nerves. So, it is very important to keep a check on BP to avoid any future complications.
So, we always advice our patients suffering from High BP to get investgated 6 monthly.
I would advise you following investigations:
1. Kidney Function tests
2. Thyroid profile
3. Fasting Blood sugar
4. Fasting Lipid Profile
5. ECG.
I would advise you to get these investigations done. If any issue is found, you would be treated accordingly.
For Asthma, you are taking Montelukast since long. Personally i don't prefer to give Montelukast for a long time. Moreover, it can cause sedation and tiredness that you might be feeling.
Now, in case you are overweight or you snore in night, that can be a reason behind the tiredness you have all the day. So, ask your family members that do you snore in night. If yes, you need to start exercising and work on loosing weight.
At your age BP should not exceed more then 130/80 mmHg.
You should avoid pickle, alcohol, namkeen. Take low salt, and oil free diet.
I hope it helps.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Dear sir, what can be appropriate alternative of Montelukast and way to take it.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Levocetrizine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Ideal alternative is based on the frequency of your symptoms as well as the condition of your chest. I suppose if you are doing good on Montelukast then Levocetrizine once every night will be an alternative better drug for you.
I hope it helps.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 days later
Dear sir, good morning. Could you please suggest me the best professional for my problems in XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See an Physician.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I don't know any one personally in XXXXXXX but you can see any MD Medicine - Internal medicine Physician there. You can get it him at any hospital there.
Share my opinion with him.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 hours later
Dear sir, Today morning when I woke up, I had cheat pain on my every body moments. I lay down for some minutes and after I was the n some comfort I went for morning walk/jogging. After completing 4 Km in 40 minutes pain and discomfort was reduced to 90%. Sir, what could be possible reasons behind it. I am facing this form last week and this 3rd time only this time it was little but more.
Brief Answer:
Muscular pain is most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Friend.
It seems to be Muscular Pain. The Muscular chest pain aggravates with movement. It is dull, diffuse and continuous in nature. This can result from incorrect posture during the night while you were sleeping.
For muscular pain you should do hot fomentation over the involved area 3-4 times a day. You should apply Diclofenac Gel locally over the involved area.
Take oral NSAIDs like Etoricoxib only in case you have severe pain.
However, you should get an ECG done to rule out any evidence of cardiac pain.
I hope it helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Anshul Varshney