question-icon

Suggest treatment for aspiration problem

Posted on Thu, 25 Sep 2014
Question: My dad is 92 years old and has a closing esphagus. Every time he tries to eat or drink he chokes causing him to aspirate. Is there any kind of medication out there to help eliminate this problem?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Try non pharmacological therapy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Looking at the medical history and query, my opinion is as follows:
1. The closing of esophagus appears to be due to gastro esophageal reflux disease.
2. Pepcid is ideal. Hope you are taking it twice daily. You can use antacids to reduce further acidity. Antacids can affect other medications absorption, be careful about it.
3. Additionally, you need him to follow certain non pharmacological therapies like
A. Give him food in multiple small meals. And very slowly.
B. Avoid spicy or sour foods.
C. Relaxation and slow breathing exercises to relieve tension. Tension will increase esophagus closing.
D. Avoid tight clothing around abdomen.
E. Avoid sodas, coffee, Orange and tomatoes which can increase acidity.

Avoid any risk of aspiration, and choking as infection of lung will be critical at this age.
If painful, cold milk, juice etc can be used.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist