question-icon

Suggest treatment for aspiration pneumonia while on Meropenem

Posted on Tue, 25 Apr 2017
Question: My wife is currently in the hospital being treated for an infection called KLEDFILLA. She had aspiration pneumonia and is currently being treated with Meropenem. My question is this the strongest antibiotic or what about the use of Zosyn intravenous?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Is this klebsiella? The above name is strange to us!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this infection that your wife has. I am not sure you got the name right. Cross check and see whether it is more of what i proposed.

On another note, the same culture that identifies the germ also identifies the best antibiotics to act on. In this case, these are are the strongest available and you should not be worried about whether it is he best or not. That not withstanding, meropenenms are excellent against klebsiella and superior to zosyn.

I hope this addresses your worry fully. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Dr. Ivo Ditah