Owl Image

Suggest treatment for arthrogryposis

Question
Hi, my 20 year old son has arthrogryposis, though it is mainly in his legs (his elbows hyperextend a bit). He is in to bodybuilding and is EXTREMELY ripped, though his legs remain useless and like little sticks. I have warned him for years about overusing his arms as they may wear out or damage his already damaged joints, but he gets so much attention for being so strong and built that he won't quit. Am I wrong to tell him to stop lifting weights so heavily? He walks with forearm crutches. He is 4' 9" and went from 80 pounds to 110 pounds in a year, after he left home and started lifting.
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Accident and Emergency

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Optimal physical activity advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I have read your history carefully and appreciate your concern.

Arthrogryposis, , comprises non progressive conditions characterized by multiple joint contractures found throughout the body at birth.

I would suggest that the physical activity be maintained to a level that helps your son to carry out daily activities with least no of obstacles.

Though exercise is recommended and Your son's BMI is normal (around 21) , overuse is not advised.

Some patients may develop skeletal changes secondary to the original deformities; these may include scoliosis and deformed carpal and tarsal bones, and they worsen the patient's overall condition.

Thanks

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for arthrogryposis 2 hours later
Just to clarify, my son should NOT be body building?

I'm concerned as the connective tissue is apparently affected in all of his joints, not just his legs, and I worry that putting such an extreme of overuse on his shoulders (and other upper body joints) will damage them further, possibly destroying them in the future as he grows older.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes..

Detailed Answer:
hello again,

Yes, I would advise he refrain from body building. Regular exercise to maintain upper limb function should continue.

Whether all joints have been affected or not, has to be decided on a physical exam by an orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist in aid with the Radiologist.

Thanks