Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

172 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for arthrogryposis

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2920 Questions

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Hi, my 20 year old son has arthrogryposis, though it is mainly in his legs (his elbows hyperextend a bit). He is in to bodybuilding and is EXTREMELY ripped, though his legs remain useless and like little sticks. I have warned him for years about overusing his arms as they may wear out or damage his already damaged joints, but he gets so much attention for being so strong and built that he won't quit. Am I wrong to tell him to stop lifting weights so heavily? He walks with forearm crutches. He is 4' 9" and went from 80 pounds to 110 pounds in a year, after he left home and started lifting.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Optimal physical activity advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I have read your history carefully and appreciate your concern.

Arthrogryposis, , comprises non progressive conditions characterized by multiple joint contractures found throughout the body at birth.

I would suggest that the physical activity be maintained to a level that helps your son to carry out daily activities with least no of obstacles.

Though exercise is recommended and Your son's BMI is normal (around 21) , overuse is not advised.

Some patients may develop skeletal changes secondary to the original deformities; these may include scoliosis and deformed carpal and tarsal bones, and they worsen the patient's overall condition.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Just to clarify, my son should NOT be body building?

I'm concerned as the connective tissue is apparently affected in all of his joints, not just his legs, and I worry that putting such an extreme of overuse on his shoulders (and other upper body joints) will damage them further, possibly destroying them in the future as he grows older.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
hello again,

Yes, I would advise he refrain from body building. Regular exercise to maintain upper limb function should continue.

Whether all joints have been affected or not, has to be decided on a physical exam by an orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist in aid with the Radiologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Contractures

doctor1 MD

what is the problem if the bottom of my feet fill like I am walking on water blisters?

doctor1 MD

I wanna discuss Erb's Palsy of my new born (left arm) during Forceps vaginal delivery . Please advise a treatment and necessary care to be given to the infant. Regards, xxxxxxx

doctor1 MD

I was awaken in the night with serious drawing and contractures of ankle and toes. this isn't the first time. also left thumb drawing and stiff for a short time, several days ago. light headed and poor e-mail is YYYY@YYYY .

doctor1 MD

I had breast cancer, subsequent reconstruction with a mesh I believe - four years ago. The breast where the implant is has deformed some and I am suffering so bad I can barely breathe. Would you think this is capsular contracture? Is there anything I can do for this? I cannot take anti-inflammatories. Should I apply heat or cold to the breast. I have taken 3 Tylenol threes today and it has not helped. Thank you.