Suggest treatment for arthritis

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What is causing my b.f.s ankle to continuous look worse he was told approximately 2 yrs ago he had arthritis and gout and when inflamed or irratatedit would become swollen and red but the swelling has never decreased just gotten larger and larger over time and now he seems to be retaining water in his calf
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Usually Gout can cause deposition of harmful crystals in the joint and soft tissue.

It is advisable to be on Uric acid lowering medication and strict diet control.

Do get a few blood tests like Renal function tests, Serum Uric acid done. Get an ultrasound of the ankle and Colour Doppler of the calf to rule out clots.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
r uric acid meds prescribed or can they be purchased with out dr. and do we need a dr to order these tests or can these be done by just going to a hospital lab or after hours clinic
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prescription medicine. Do consult a Doctor for better management

Detailed Answer:
These medicines are prescription based.

It would be wise to visit with a Doctor who can offer the tests and also examine him properly to look for any other need for intervention.
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon