Suggest treatment for arthritis

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Lump
Question: Hello Dr., my mother suffers from vericose veins and also has arthritis. She has been recommended knee replacement and the orthapedic referred her to a vascular surgeon to be sure that her existing condition won't be an impediment to the knee surgery. We got a doppler done on his advise. The vascular surgeon has now recommended an angiography of the veins in her legs before the knee surgery. I suspect we are being fleeced. Her reports are attached. Could you advise? Also there is no vascular specialist in your queue. Could you direct me to a specialist who can help?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She can undergo knee replacement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the reports in detail.
If she has severe joint pain,she can go for knee replacement surgery.
She has varicose veins in both lower limbs. Veins will be tortuous and dilated near knee joint. Perforators are present in the leg which doesnt come in the incision line of Knee replacement.
Orthopaedician can go ahead with his surgery even though he encounters the vein or he can simultaneously remove the vein with the assistance of vascular surgeon.
Nothing to worry.
Hope i answered your query.If you have any questions,i will clarify further.
Wish her good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 16 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Just reconfirming that she doesn't need the vericose procedure, right? And a knee surgery won't lead to any complications in her condition?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
She can go ahead with knee replacement first.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Varicose veins can be dealt later after knee replacement surgery.It can be managed by RADIO FREQUENCY ABLATION/LASER therapy.
Wish her good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D