• question-icon

Suggest treatment for appendicitis

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have grumbling appendix I've been taking antibiotics and it's calmed down but I still don't feel up to flying to Spain from England but my wife who went out there earlier said I would be alright and it's not as bad as i think even if it bursts I'm not so sure it's me who feels those horrible pains I went on a five hour drive and it started really playing up that is why I put my flight off and I'm still not sure i will be ok
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get clinical evaluation, Ultrasound/CT scan

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
If there is clinical improvement and Ultrasound or CT scan showing no fecolith in the appendix and edema/size is reducing you may then try the flight.
Otherwise it can be tedious if the pain recurs during flight hours.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
When was the recent attack?
Which antibiotics are you taking?
Why was not appendix operated?
Was the diagnosis clinical examination or also confirmed by Ultrasound/CT?
Any other information that can help me.
How much is the duration of flight?

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
I was taken to hospital about 6 months ago I was scan and tested for appendicitis and was then prepared for surgery but there was a major motorway incident and the patients where brought to my hospital over a period of 48 hours ongoing my surgeon came and apologised for the delays in my op I had been put on drips of antibiotics and painkillers after 48 hrs the surgeon ask how I felt and they we're sorry for delay they told me my appendix was subsiding due to antibiotics and he said if I was not in to much pain they would leave me for 24hrs to see as it happened they tested my blood the next day and told me the infection was gone the explained I could go home but it make come back in the future and if it did I was to come back immediately I have been fine since then but a few days ago on a 5 hour car journey the pains came back and got worded on my journey back I was going to go to the hospital but the seemed to get better I decided to take some amoxicillin anti biotics as I was due to go on holiday with my family a couple of days later and I new I could not go if I went in hospital my family went on holiday and I said I would join them a few days later if I felt better I seem to have gotten over the pains but it is still a bit tender and I don't want to agrivate in case it starts up again on the plane journey of 4hrs I myself would prepfer not to chance it if I am at home and it starts again I will go straight to hospital if not I will get he led out by my doctor on Monday my wife thinks I should take the chance and go on holiday I'm not so sure and would like your opinion
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for an elucidate feedback, noted well.
Since there is recurrence just a few days ago it is prudent to see your Doctor/Surgeon for clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to know the status at the moment so that a the future course of actions can be decided and you get a proper dosages of correct antibiotics and supportive treatment.
Going on a vacation with an attack of appendicitis a few days ago is out of question.
You are thinking correct and please follow the protocol to see the status.

I hope this answer helps you in good decision and proper diagnosis and management too.
Please give further feedback.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon