• question-icon

Suggest treatment for aphthous stomatitis

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: The entire lining of my mouth is extremely sensitive and sore since I had an extraction of a large back molar. It wasn't healing and a long thin piece of the molar surfaced after 10 days and was removed. I can't rinse with salt water, anything with acid in it such as tomato, salad dressing, etc. burns. I will see the oral surgeon again on Thursday. Even organic toothpaste burns. Is this possibly dry mouth or could it be an infection. The gum and mouth lining are red and inflamed.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms seems like Aphthous Stomatitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain the symptoms seems like those observed in APHTHOUS STOMATITIS that is the Inflammation of mucousal surfaces of mouth and can be confirmed only after further clinical evaluation..

As you have got an extraction done, it might be due to side effect of any Medication ( if you are taking any)..

Kindly answer a few questions so that I can guide you towards treatment.
1.Are you taking any Medication post extraction or any other medicine?

2.Do you experience dryness in mouth?

3.Is there any white coating present over tongue?

4. Presently are you taking Multivitamins?

5.Is the extraction socket healing?

Kindly answer the following so that I can guide you better towards treatment..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
1. I am not taking any medications. I did not take any medications when the extraction was done on 9/22/15. My oral surgeon had me rinse with Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.12% oral rinse twice a day for seven days. I then rinsed with salt water several times a day until several days ago when the sensitivity began occurring.

2. I am experiencing extreme dryness.

3. There is no white coating on my tongue presently. There is a white coating on two spots where my oral surgeon placed a brace to hold open my mouth when he was doing the extraction. The white coating appeared several days ago.

4. I take a multi-vitamin, vitamin C, calcium with vit. D, 2 tabs daily Omega 3, and 2 probiotics tabs daily.

5. The socket is healing slowly since I had the bone chip removed last Friday. It is still tender in that area.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be Stomatitis secondary to Dry Mouth..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

As per your explanation it seems that you have Inflammation of the mucosal surfaces inside mouth and it is secondary to Dry mouth..

Nothing to worry, continue taking Multivitamin and other Nutritional supplements that you are taking..
Gargle with a numbing mouthwash containing Lignocaine for relief from pain and burning especially during meals.
Take anti-inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen..
Gargle with cold water and sucking ice cubes can also help in reducing inflammation and relieving discomfort..
Avoid hot, spicy and acidic foods till the condition resolves..
For Dry mouth chew sugar free chewing gum multiple times a day as it stimulate saliva flow and eases dryness..
You can gargle with specifically formulated mouthwash for Dry mouth like Biotene or any other available with your local pharmacist..
Drink plenty of water..

Hopefully the condition will improve in a week but in case if you do not find any relief consult an Oral Physician for a clinical evaluation..

Any further questions are welcome..

Wishing you a sooner recovery..

If your query is resolved please write a positive review and give a Five Star Rating as a token of appreciation...

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist