Suggest treatment for anxiety

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: The doctor's appointment didn't go very well. First he said we should just keep an eye on it and that kind of upset me bc I felt my symptoms warranted more than just to wait back and see what happens and he prescribed me Tylenol and told me to take excedrine.

Unfortunately, I was unable to control my emotions and started crying and asked him if my bloodwork would show something (thinking about what the online dr said). My doctor said nothing in bloodwork would explain my symptoms unless it I had a thyroid problem. Then he said he would refer me for an MRI of my brain (basically just to calm me down) so my appointment is on the 21st for that and I officially feel like a crazy person but I still have symptoms so I'm fine with seeming crazy. Definitely my most uncomfortable doctors appointment I've ever had.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I have read over your previous questions and your current question. Here are my thoughts.

I would encourage you to trust your doctor. It can be hard emotionally when you don't understand something, but remember that doctors undergo well over a decade of training to address these problems. Your symptoms indeed do not sound like an organic neurologic problem and are more likely nonspecific somatic symptoms of anxiety. Pushing the doctor for more tests that they would not otherwise do will simply result in unnecessary testing, exposure to the risks of those tests (such as kidney failure with MRI dyes), and unneeded financial cost. Place more trust in your doctor and their training and follow their advice.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T