Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for anxiety

Jun 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2496 Questions
Hello, I have a history of pvc's that started mostly in my late 20's. They would come and go over the years. When I turned 50 they became very disruptive to my sleep and my life. All my cardiac tests are superb! The only cause my doctors could come up with was anxiety for which I have a positive history as well with panic attacks mostly in my mid and late teens. I now get intense anxiety after prolonged pvc's and sometimes get anxiety without having the pvc's. I just started to take zoloft and am waiting for the full effect to take hold. I have an excellent doctor who supervises my prescriptions. It seems logical that my anxiety is the underlying source of my pvc's and it truly is my hope in that I believe zoloft and the psychotherapy I am receiving will eventually really help me. In the absence of any other source do you think that my anxiety issue is the source of my increased pvc's. It is interesting to note that when I turned 50, my son turned 15 and when I was 15 I lossed both my parents within a 5 month span…..very traumatic. I now know that I have PTSD as a result and have been told by more than one professional that my son being the same age as I was could have certainly been the trigger of my more intense pvc's. I would love your opinion on this issue and your opinion of the effectiveness of zoloft. Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Zoloft is effective drug in anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

There are lot of reasons behind PVC which includes stress, drug like alcohol caffeine, sleep disturbance, hypoxia etc. In your case, it could be due to stress. As we have mentioned that you have turned 50 and your son is 15 years old. At age of your son, you lost your parent and that could be the reason behind stress induced anxiety. Sometime, unconscious thoughts lead to physical symptoms like anxiety or PVC. In that case, antidepressant like zoloft (sertreline) would help. It is SSRIs and it takes two weeks to show response. It has very good effect on anxiety symptoms. Along with medication, you can also try relaxation exercise like JPMR etc.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for anxiety 11 minutes later
Doctor thanks for your reply. It is interesting to note that I started having trouble staying asleep for about two to three years before my pvc's got out of control. Part of my diagnostic work up included and thorough overnight sleep study. The test came back totally normal for what they were looking for i.e. apnea, hypoxia, etc. But I know for sure that my sleep has not been high quality for a long time which makes me think that anxiety has been the culprit behind my sleep issues and hence my pvc's. So, in summary, I have had many diagnostic tests for my pvc's and nothing ever shows which is why we are approaching this from a psychogenic perspective. Does knowing this additional information lead you to believe that the source of my pvc's is a psychogenic one?? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have psychogenic anxiety

Detailed Answer:

Before making diagnosis, we try to rule out all possible physical ailments. If all investigations come normal, then we label patient with psychogenic anxiety. In your case, all investigations are normal, so chances of psychogenic anxiety is very high and that would be the reason behind PVC. Remember one thing, our body is controlled by our thoughts. If we remain tense, then our body would. Same thing may be in your case. Sleep disturbance could be due to stress or anxiety. For that you can take low dose benzodiazepine on sos basis.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor