Suggest treatment for anxiety while suffering from acid reflux

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
About 3 months ago my doctor told me that I had acid reflux I was also having trouble with breathing after eating. He prescribed me Prilosec 40mg twice a day for 6 weeks and then only once per day. I was also taking metoprolol 50mg once a day for rapid heart rate. After a month I started feeling better but about two weeks ago whenever I drink water I get immediately lightheaded. Its like an instant rush. It happens when I eat also but not as bad. My doctor have check my organ function and other body functions and everything was fine except iron was at a 24. I've been taking my blood glucose levels just because (Im not diabetic) and they are usually in the range of 100-125 one hour after eating..my blood pressure is around 121/83. I have always been a water drinker and never had this problem. My doctor say that I am fine but its generalize anxiety that's causing all my symptoms. When I'm eating or drinking I never feel anxious or anything. Taking Metoprolol is my first time ever taking blood pressure medication. Could I be experiencing side effects of this medication or have digestion issues?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow teh suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

After reviewing your data my opinion is that you are experiencing dizziness and light headed which are very common side effects of metoprolol use.
Moreover, anxiety can explain your symptoms.It may worsen acid reflux, gastritis and stomach pain .

This is why I strongly advice to stop Metoprolol for a couple of days.
If the problem persist then other causes especially anxiety can explain your symptoms and need to be treated.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 8 minutes later
Thanks, so I'm not having any signs of kidney disease? I read somewhere that getting lightheaded after drinking water was a symptom of that. I just needed some peace. Also, if its the metoprolol how long will it take before the symptoms subside. Its been 24hrs so far and I still get the symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

With regards to your symptoms there is nothing to suspect to kidney disease.
If the symptoms are related with metoprolol than it will take more than 72 hours to get improved the symptoms.

Wish you all the best!
Dr.Klerida