Suggest treatment for anxiety issues

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: hi Doctor,
i am 35 years male working in MNC. my problem is anxiety since last 4-5 years. 36 years age and height is 5ft 8 inch . weight is 72.
no tention as such in professional and personal life. still sonwor the other things always goes in mind. lazyness is there always. night sleeps are not sound. coz of which days are restless. I do daily. rigorous exercise for 30 min.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possibility of anxiety disorder or depression and it can be treated

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Your history suggests possibility of some kind of anxiety disorder or depression is there.

For confirmation of diagnosis detail history and mental status examination are required to be done by a psychiatrist. I recommend consulting psychiatrist.

- Sad mood, lack of interest in routine/pleasurable activities, weeping/crying spells, hopelessness, reduce appetite, excessive fatigue or weakness, lack of concentration, sleep disturbances, death wishes, suicidal ideas : among these symptoms which are there in your case and since when? Please narrate briefly.

Treatment of anxiety/depression includes both medicines and psychotherapy.

In psychotherapy I prefer cognitive behavior therapy (CBT).In mild cases only CBT is sufficient. In moderate to severe cases initially medicines and then CBT is added. And later on medicines stopped gradually.

In medicines SSRI group of drugs (fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, escitalopram) are main stay of the treatment. There are other group of drugs as well with different mechanisms and excellent results.
Benzodiazepines group of drugs (clonazeapm, lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief.

One can stop medicines gradually after 100% recovery according to doctor's guidance.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.