Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for anxiety disorder

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1853 Questions
Dear dr, When I get angry or agitated I tremble and my face lips and limbs begin to tremble. I understand that adrenaline is released during this situation. As an anxiety disorder sufferer 8 yrs, I frequently experience sensations and recently experienced skipped heartbeats. I had seen 3 drs on this issue and apparently it hasn't gone away. Sometimes is more other times is lesser . I felt them least when sitting down or laying seemed to ease them. Anyway, can adrenaline stays in the blood for long term or it eases as soon as stressful situation is gone? Someone with anxiety disorder, is the adrenaline release non stop to create many bodily symptoms for years example? Doesn't the adrenal gland get tired out producing this non stop? I know about anxiety pills , breathing yoga etc etc etc. Any other natural and effective supplements or methods to "wash them" off the blood stream for say if the had stayed in my blood for chronic anxiety.. ?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 35 year old male • Known case of anxiety disorder • Complaints of: multiple anxiety symptoms and skipped heart beat. Anxiety manifest its symptoms by increasing adrenalin level in blood. Adrenalin can be reduced in body by washout (difficult to do) or by reducing release. Basic defect in excessive anxiety is lack of serotonin in brain, so medicines, which increase serotonin level in brain control anxiety and reduce adrenalin level in blood and its manifestation. Unusual sensations and trembling are also symptoms of excessive anxiety. Skipped heart beat or premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are among the most common arrhythmia and occur in people with and without heart disease. In some people, it can be related to stress/anxiety, too much caffeine or nicotine, or too much exercise. But sometimes, skipped heart beat or premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) can be caused by heart disease or electrolyte imbalance, it better to get them investigated by cardiologist. There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment. If anxiety is severe and chronic then it is better to go for combined treatment with medical management and cognitive behaviour therapy. We have seen significant changes in patients with such treatment. In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect. Apart from above advice following natural measures will help you: -Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0). -Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet. -Daily morning walk -Do not use excessive caffeine (tea, coffee and cold drink) -Stop substance use like alcohol (If present in your case) -Meditation (which you can learn from some nearby expert) I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor