Suggest treatment for anxiety attacks

Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: I have anxiety attacks and now I can feel my heart beat under my left breast is that normal? like its pulsing through my skin
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
this can be seen in anxiety attacks

Detailed Answer:

Manytimes in anxiety attacks patients can have this feeling in which they can feel heart pulsating (also known as palpitations); some people may also feel the chest movememts on left side of chest.

Usually, in such diagnosed cases of anxiety there is no need to worry after cardiac reasons, but if there is much concerns/ worry- then getting a simple ECG will rule out any possible heart related causes.

There can be other symptoms along with palpitations like: sweating, feeling of impending doom, dizziness, drymouth, even tingling sensations in hands or fingers.

So, please dont panic with your current symptom as it appers to be due to anxiety. However, if you have doubts, just get an ECG and you can be definitely relieved.

Wish you good health.
Please feel free to ask more queries for clarification.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Gopal 3 minutes later
yea its gone now but I have had tingling in the hands and feet and even my scalp during my attacks is that something to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dont woory, this will also settle, follow steps

Detailed Answer:

The feeling of anxiety/ pulsating heart usually lasts for 2min to 20minutes and has a cresendo-decresendo curve.
This thing usually settles down on its own, but the associated symptoms like tingling in various body parts (like as i mentioned earlier --in hands/ fingers or it can also be felt in head, neck, feet etc,; Tingling is due to hyperventilation during the anxiety attack) also settle on its own in some time, like 1/2 to 1hour after breathing becomes better.. There is no need to worry for this.

Take some water, go out for a walk, watch a song or movie which you like and distraction will help in getting better soon.

You should tell your treating doctor about these atacks and get the meds revised. such attacks happens in untreated or partially treated anxiety cases.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry