• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anxiety attacks and depression

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My name is XXXX - I am currently 70 years old - moved to XXXXXXX NJ 08724 - have an appointment with a Psychiatric Dr. at 1683 Rt. 88, XXXXXXX NJ - but didn't write the name of physician - my Name is XXXX - 209 Kentwood Blvd, XXXXXXX NJ 08724 - I live by myself and the last couple of weeks been experiencing serious Panic anxieties attacks - given a Psychiatric doctor to see me on 18Jul2017 at 11:30 am - but forgot to write his name - was at Ocean medical Ctr. on 06jul17 and was experiencing a violent panic anxiety attack - my BP was 190/90 - I got more worried - since before I moved I was seeing Dr. Pritpaul XXXXXXX at Ledgewood office, Rt. 10 West NJ - but had to sell my place and moved to an apt in XXXXXXX NJ - but not so familiar with area - I had to drive to Morris County, but eventually Dr. Pritpaul XXXXXXX could see me any longer due to driving distance - they gave me Xanax genetic .5 mg q8h daily just for 4 days - and find a physician and I tried - called Medicare and they gave me this group in XXXXXXX NJ - but still experiencing Panic anxiety attacks - Dr. XXXXXXX had me on Zoloft (genetic) 100 mg qd (am) and Clonazepam 1 mg am and pm. But my GP - dr. Morriale, at Ramtown Medical in (Internal Medicine) and Dr. Maria Polizzi, his associate - 225 Newton Corner Rd., XXXXXXX NJ 07731 - XXXXXXX A. Morreale, MD - XXXX, MD - but Dr. Morriale - was trying to decrease my dose of Clonazepam to just 1 mg qd - but then being in XXXXXXX - problems getting it refilled - Pharmacy always requested hard copy - unable to get at least 5 days - so don't know if withdrawal symptoms caused by that or just recurring panic anxiety attack and depression a few times - this started more or less after the death of my Mom in late 1985 - was being treated by Dr. XXXXXXX Kanton, in XXXXXXX NJ - but after I moved up to Morris county - I was referred to Dr. Pritpaul XXXXXXX -
but now I was in OCM ER on 06Jul2017 - and told to f/u with a new Psychiatrist - but Ramtown Medical Ctr. never referred me the name of one - closer to me - and I am afraid when I am experiencing it - and live by myself - I can OD what do something wrong - since I lose my concentration and get panicked. Can you help and let me know what I should do - have a sister in XXXXXXX SC - Mt. Pleasant - but my son, XXXXXXX XXXX, is now married and they have a baby girl - soon will be 3 - and they're afraid that if I was left alone with her - I could experience this - and my daughter in law - is a Psychology Major with Master's in Psychology and works with special children in a school - but she says I am their primary problem - and so I don't know what to do - since I do not want to ruin their marriage - but I love the baby - she is the only precious baby that I have as granddaughter. 732-475-6539 home number. Do you accept Medicare and Aetna Supplement Med Ins. Plan G?

I got no help - so I will calling bank for stop payment - if no answer - and go to ER - since I have Medicare A+B and Aetna Plan G
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I understand your concern and I am sorry you are experiencing this. I completely understand your desire to be close to your granddaughter and I am sure there is a way to get you feeling well and functional.

From your account and your history of anxiety and depression, I recommend you do some research and find a steady primary care physician that knows your medical background and commits to seeing you regularly.

As for the treatment, I recommend you discuss with your doctor the possibility of getting a prescription for Lexapro or Paxil, both of which are antidepressants that are also very effective for anxiety.

I hope this works out for you. If you have further questions I would be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ornela Ademovi