• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anxiety attacks and clinical depression

Posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2019 in Mental Health
Question: I suffer with Clinical Depression and anxiety, I have had many bouts, I need someone to help me thru this latest attack, I am so sick of hurting. XXXX.

Hello, I have given you my background information. Presently I am taking 200mg Zoloft daily and o.5 mg of Lorazapem 2/3 daily. The anxiety settles on me like a heavy blanket of fear, the depression freezes me, I do not want to get up, I make myself get up, and make myself do chores. I had to force myself to go to buy grocery's, I was out of some supply's - this is not me.
Is there anything else you need from me?
Thank You, XXXX

I have been seeing my MD for my problem, After taking Venlafaxine ER 150g for approx 2 years I asked to come off, the side affects were awful. I went on that because I had built up a tolerance to the Zoloft. We switched earlier this year back to Zoloft 100 mg, last time I saw her she increased it to 150 mg and added the lorazapem. I myself increased the dose last week to 200mg of Zoloft, which I had been on many years ago. How do I find out if I have a tolerance to Zoloft again, and what would work in its place? I have been attempting to get an appointment with a therapist my Dr. recommends, I have seen her in the past when I was dealing with the loss of my Mother.
I was hoping you could help me, would you suggest a psychiatrist in the area I live in?
I do not have much appetite, but I do eat healthy, lots of fresh veg, whole grains, small portions of meat or fish, no dessert. I attempt to get some exercise each day. I do not know what else to do, I would rather be dead than live the rest of my life in the awful condition. Anything else I can tell you?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medicines and cognitive therapy can help in depression.

Detailed Answer:

Depressive disorder follows a long course and episodes recur in course. You are currently on Zoloft 200 mg which is adequate dose but still the symptoms are persisting. You are not feeling good on Zoloft. If the depression is chronic and its not possible to treat the depressive symptoms with one drug then as per guidelines there are two options-

One option is to augment the therapy with some another add on drug. Bupropion or Buspirone or even Lithium carbonate can be added to therapy. These drugs will make the actions of the drug more efficacious and will help to treat the resistant symptoms.

Another option is to add some low dose second generation antipsychotic drug in low doses. Drugs like Risperidone, Olanzapine, Quetiapine etc can be added to the prescription. These drugs will help in reducing the resistant anxiety and depressive symptoms.

You can consult your doctor for these possible options. Apart from this Cognitive therapy by a good psychologist can help to beat the depression. The therapy runs a long course but will definitely help to beat the depressive symptoms. So please don't feel hopeless, with medicines and cognitive therapy you will be alright.

You can search a good psychiatrist in doctors in USA section on our website.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks and take care.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 15 hours later
Thank You Dr. Bishnoi, I know the brain can be Very complicated, the Psychiatrist I saw in Calif for 6 years was a big help for me, he told me "there is still so much we do not know about the brain" He taught me a lot. But I left him in 2006 when I moved to the East Coast. Told my MD I had depression problems, she agreed to supervise my meds. But now it has come down to needing a specialist to help me. I thank you for your detailed reply. I am going to see a therapist tomorrow am. who deals with depression/anxiety. I have an appointment next week to see a Psychiatric Nurse who comes Highly recommended, I will tell her I was diagnosed as Bi-polar II.

Thank You for being there and helping me. Sincerely, XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks and Take care

Detailed Answer:

Yes, visit a therapist and take proper treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you a good health. Take care and thanks for your appreciation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Psychiatrist
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist