Suggest treatment for anxiety attack

Psychiatrist
Question
I am having trouble getting out of the house since having an anxiety attack at work. I feel weak and tired. No appetite.
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Panic attacks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The condition that you are having is basically panic attacks. This is a disorder of anxiety and occurs cause of imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. especially serotonin, nor adrenaline, and dopamine to some extent. Medicines are the best options to take care of these symptoms. Paroxetine is the the most popular medicine and my drug of choice. I generally prescribe my patients 12.5 mg per day at night which takes care of anxiety symptoms. Also certain medicines like propranolol and clonazepam can be give as required when there is a panic episode or expected situation where panic attack can appear.
Also there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for anxiety attack 2 hours later
This apparently runs inour family. My sister has been on .5/xanax 3xday for 10 years and manages well. I tolerate the drug well and it relieves my symptoms at .25/twice a day. I don't understand the hesitance to prescribe at this low dose. I have tried Paxil before without good results. Also lexapro, zoloft, celexa, etc

I don't under.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its good that medicines are helping you

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow-up.
Its good that the symptoms are being controlled well with clonazepam 0.25mg twice daily. Now this is a low dose clonazepam and the prescriber should not bother much about it. As long as the symptoms are well under control, there is nothing much to worry about.
Hope this helps,
If you have any further query, do let me know.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for anxiety attack 6 hours later
It's alprazolam and they are not comfortable supplying. Is the drug you spoke of less addictive ? Does it act in a similar manner?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Yes you are right. Xanax is alprazolam but the drug I am talking about is almost equal in efficacy and at the same time less addictive. Alprazolam and clonazepam are both issued on a prescription of a local doctor but both are safe and effective in low doses.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy