question-icon

Suggest treatment for anxiety and shakiness after partial thyroidectomy

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: I had s partial thyroidectomy 2 weeks ago. I now have an increased heart rate, anxiety, trouble sleeping and I shake/tremble. My T4, T3 and TSH were just tested and came back in the normal range. Prior to surgery, I never had any of these issues and am very active and healthy. My ENT doctor said its probably my heart (which no family history of heart or personal history) and that I need to see a heart doctor. This seems extreme any recommendations.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Not thyroid related

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern.
If your recent thyroid blood works are normal, the symptoms are not due to thyroid. Sorry to say, but I will have to agree with your ENT doctor. You may need to get an ECG ( electrocardiogram) and a heart rate monitoring as well to find out other causes for your symptoms.
Besides, infections following surgery is another reason for such symptoms. Please get CBC, ESR and Urine Routine to rule out infection. You are welcome to discuss further
Binu
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist