• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anxiety and panic attacks every time before a new sexual encounter

Posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2019 in Mental Health
Question: first sexual encounter was with a much more experience woman she did not know i was a Virgin and i was/ not ab out to tell her she was 3yrs younger.after weeks of making out one day she just took off all her cloths jumped in bed for sex.well i had anxiety attack,about 2 weeks later after 3rd try we did it and it lasted for 15 years.now every time i try to have sex with a new person just before the sex i get this same panic.sometimes i can work through it sometime i cant. depending on the woman the level of anxiety differs,if i get pass the first encounter every thing is fine that was 36 years ago i thought i would just grow out of it YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Behavior therapy can be utilized for anxiety.

Detailed Answer:

During your initial encounters since you were virgin and due to performance anxiety (most probably) you developed severe anxiety symptoms. Later, your mind got conditioned to that anxiety and you started having panic symptoms when ever you meet a partner for the first time. During subsequent encounters, anxiety decreases because unconsciously your mind learns to remain relaxed.

These symptoms are occurring due to anxiety only. If you can find a good psychologist then repeated sessions of behavior therapy will desensitize you and you will remain relaxed. You can try progressive muscle relaxation exercises (PMR) prior to sexual encounters and this will keep you relaxed and you can prevent the panic attacks. You can learn the progressive muscle relaxation exercises from youtube.

Other option is to take medicines for anxiety. But if your anxiety is situational and you are relaxed person in day to day activities then I don't think there is need to take medicines. But yes medicines like Propranolol can be used prior to first encounter and this will keep the autonomic system under control and you will remain relaxed. This will prevent panic attacks.

Please visit a psychiatrist and discuss about the management.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thanks and take care.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Psychiatrist
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist