Suggest treatment for anxiety and insomnia

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi ,
My mother was suffering from anxiety and insomnia I think about 8-10 years back.
AT that time some doctor prescribed her Imipam , Trazine H and Cloze md medicines.
She has been taking these medicines from past ten years, on and off,a s she use to get sleep with these medicines(without anyone being aware of this that she is taking these medicines.
But now her condition is even more severe, she will gets irritated for no reason , She shouts for now reason, excess of sleep, in fact if no one interferes she will sleep for about 15 -18 hours a day, she feels week as well, I mean blank out is very common.
Also most of the time I have observed that she is just lost, even while conversation with someone she will listen for sometime and the lost as if she is not Listening.
One more strange things which I thought is related to hearing problem, but if she is quiet or pays attention she can listen to very low voice conversation as well, but most of the time if we talk normally or even very loudly , she doesnt hear anything or takes 3-4 times to confirm that she hear what people said.
other than these she suffers from stomach ache , UTI sensation in her bones , sometime she cant even walk properly, someone needs to guide her to do stuff if its other than her routine chorus
I am not sure if this is the long term impact these medicines.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Require detailed examination and investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
At this age possibility of fronto temporal dementia or alzheimers disease due to brain degeneration are possibilities.
Detailed work up is required.
Visit to a neurologist for proper examination is the first step. Brain Mri may be required.
Blood investigation like Thyroid profile, vitamin B 12, renal function test, liver function test, blood sugar and blood pressure measurement should be done.
Behavioural abnormalities may be a part of same disease.
Imipramine can be continued but doses to be reduced if sedation is more.
Advice and consultation from a psychiatrist will be fruitful.
Other medications can be started once investigation is done and diagnosis settled.
Possibility of drug related side effect is less and require above investigation first.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Review with reports.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak