Owl Image

Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression

Psychiatrist
Question
My son is 20 years old suffering with anxiety and mild depression in addition to attention deficit. He is extremely intelligent, but struggled this last semester.Procrastination, disorganization, and lack of focus were exacerbated by stress
and anxiety. He has never used prescription drugs and prefers not to. He is presently undergoing counseling and neurofeedback, which is helping some, but still feels anxiety about going back to college.His psychologist is leery about Welbutrin as an option due to its propensity to increase suicidal thoughts in some younger people.He is a business major and piano minor and the classes are becoming more and more difficult. Business as a major is not presently his passion, but it is too late to really change the major. Do you have any suggestions for additional non-prescription drug care and could you suggest a supplement, lifestyle and eating plan(though it will be hard to follow in college) that has helped similar patients?He does try to work out most everyday, but has even lost some motivation for that lately.
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CBT is useful therapy in mix anxiety depression

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear

I admire you for positive outlook.

I understand your concern at non pharmacological treatment of anxiety and depression.

Counseling help a lot if done in a proper way.

Now a days cognitive behavior therapy(CBT) is the choice in depression.

Main principal of this is to identify cognitive error in thinking and try to modify it by active participation of both patient and doctor. It is 20 to 24 session psychotherapy and last for almost 3 months.

Do consult the best cognitive behavior therapist.

Beside this, biofeedback is also somewhat useful.

Progressive muscle relaxation method has good result in control anxiety and daily stress. Please read about it on google for detail procedure.

Besides this,

Exercise regularly.
Meditation and yoga.
deep breathing and hyperventilation

proper sleep.
stress free activity.

Do pleasurable activity.
Music and hobbies.

Discuss with friends.
Keep himself busy.

Daily fix schedule and stick on it.
See all thing with different angle
Positive outlook
Confidence
all this will help him to counter daily stress.

No special supplement can help. Just take regular food and diet. Antioxidants will help.
Vitamin like B12 and methyl folate is useful. I prefer in my patient along with other treatment.

Welbutrin is not so much effective. There are other good medicines too which help a lot.

But I would like to say apart from this treatment, that all that I have mentioned above is additional benefits. That can not be replace drug therapy.

For quicker response and quick get back to daily routine I prefer medicine at 1st place.

So think about it also.

Still have a query than feel free to ask.

Happy to help you
Thank You.