Suggest treatment for anorexia and fever

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi there,

I am a 28year old female. I am in full time treatment for anorexia. Last week i experienced some flu like symptoms and fever however i have since developed a small rash in a band like shape on my right side of my ribs, it was initially like a couple of bites however it has since flattened out and appears like a number of tiny blisters. It is extremely tender with a burning sensation. I am concerned in view of the anorexia (depleted immune system) that this could be shingles. I have attached some pictures. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment with acyclovir for the infection and ibuprofen for pain

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.

I care fully read your question and also checked the attached pictures and understand your concern.

According to the symptoms you prescribe with red are that then has blisters and is painful like burning sensation and also the pictures you have attached this is a shingles infection.

Generally shingles is a self limiting infection which means many patients have no problem with it and it heals in 2 weeks. Anorexia and not having a good level of vitamins and usual daily needs covered for a while might affect the immune system and reduce the "fighting" resources of the body.

The good news though is that at the blister stage that you are now, the treatment is very effective to control the infection and reduce recurrences. The first line treatment is acyclovir which I would recommend you to start as soon as possible and you should be drinking plenty while you take it as it precipitates easily in the kidneys and if so might cause kidney damage.

So to summarize:
1. see your doctor to have a prescription with Acyclovir and start it as soon as possible
2. drink plenty while you take acyclovir to prevent kidney damage due to it. At least 8 glasses of water a day is a good amount.
3. NSAIDS for pain (ibuprofen) to help you feel better- it is symptomatic treatment
4. be cautious of spreading it by contact with the fluid of the blisters to other areas in your skin and also for other members in your family

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact me in case of anymore clarification related to this is needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T