• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ankle edema

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have had PMR since May 2, 2016, and was on steroids until april 5th, 2017. I took an experimental drug Actemra 162.5 MG injections once a week, starting in January 2017, then before that, starting in Oct. 2016, I was taking Actemra (same dose) twice a month until end of 2016. My last shot was April 21st. My Total Protein is 5.8, Gamma Globulin is .6 and Alpha Globulin is .5, Beta 1 Globulin is .4 and Beta 2 Globulin is .2. I have very mild edema in my ankles. Is this a significant cause for alarm? XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.
If there ar eno other symptoms, beside mild ankle edema then considering these protein electrophoresis findings, there is no need to be concerned. There is just slight abnormality of Alpha and beta globulins which should cause any significant symptoms and it doesnt indicate disease progression at this point.
Normalization of protein electrophoresis may take even up to 4-6 months after steroid use or Actemra. Less common, some liver disorders may affect albumine production so it would be good to check your liver enzymes as well. If these are fine, you should repeat electrophoresis in 1 month.
Wish you good health. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon