Suggest treatment for ankle arthritis
Cortisone injections helped at first, but are no longer effective.
x rays show I have no cartilage, so it is bone on bone. My doctor recommends ankle replacement, but I am leery of the potential risks. I have had a very successful partial right knee replacement 4 years ago, a very successful right toe replacement 10 years ago and a very successful discectomy 20 years ago. I am 74, but in excellent shape. I feel that I may be pressing my luck with ankle replacement. What are my alternatives?
XXXXXXX XXXX - YYYY@YYYY
Ankle Arthrodesis or Ankle boot
Thanks for the query.
You have an option of ankle Arthrodesis, which involves fusing the ankle joint. This will lead to loss of ankle movements after surgery so your ankle will be stiff forever. But pain of the arthritis will be controlled to a great degree.
You can try using ankle foot orthosis (AFO) boot to reduce the stress in the ankle as well.
I hope I have answered your query.
I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Dr. Aashish Raghu
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of ankle arthritis
- Diagnosis of ankle arthritis
- Symptoms of local ankle arthritis
- Ankle arthritis causes
- Local ankle arthritis causes
- Drugs/medication for ankle arthritis
- Diagnosis of local ankle arthritis
- Ankle arthritis physical therapy exercises
- Treatment and cure for ankle arthritis
- Treatment and cure for local ankle arthritis