• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anisocytosis

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Women's Health
Question: How do I improve abnormal red blood cells. Body is making ok, but they die to soon and are weird shapes.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anisocytosis requires cause specific treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thanks for contacting healthcaremagic.

The early death or disintegration of red blood cells and its presence in weird shapes indicates ANISOCYTOSIS.
Its main symptoms are tiredness, weakness, decreased attention span, breathlessness and paler skin indicating anemia or sometimes hemorrhagic patches over skin.

Causes can be :-
1. Congenital anemia and thalassemia.
2. Condition of insufficiency in the production of red blood cells involving the bone marrow also results to anisocytosis and this condition is known as Diamond-Blackfan syndrome.
3. Vitamin A and Vitamin B12 deficiency

There is no particular cure for Anisocytosis. The treatments for Anisocytosis tend to vary since the causes of the disease vary from person to person. The degree to which the disease is curable completely depends on its cause. If Vitamin deficiency is the cause of the disease in any individual, he or she needs to be provided with Vitamin supplement.

My advise would be to report to the ER and get your blood tests done especially serum electrophoresis and blood tests for vitamin deficiencies. Then the treatment can be based on the cause specific.

Review with reports.
Dr.Sameer Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist