Suggest treatment for anger outbursts

Dr. Sunil Gupta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: hi.. my wife has a problem.. she is normal at times.. but some times so much anger comes into her mind. she fights with everyone over small issues. but later when she stablizes, she understands that there was no need of that fight.. please help me regarding this..
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern regarding your wife's anger outbursts. Anger is a reaction which often leads to problems and excess of it definitely is something which should be tackled heads on.

Anger over small and petty issues can be a manifestation of underlying psychological issues like stress and depression. I feel you should talk to your wife and discuss what is going on with her and is there something that is bothering her.

I would also advise that you consult a psychiatrist for the same. As a psychiatrist, i would have liked to know the duration since these anger outbursts started, any other change in behavior, any predominant event that has happened and any change in mood, sleep and appetite of your wife.

In case, she is found to be suffering from stress or depression, medications in form of anti-depressants like escitalopram would be helpful. Daily exercise and some relaxation techniques like meditation, deep breathing, etc. would also help in relaxing and reducing anger outbursts.

In case, after evaluation, no other issues or underlying conditions are detected, therapy sessions for anger management could be tried. They are highly effective in controlling anger.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please let me know in case you have any further doubt. I will be glad to help.

Follow up: Dr. Sunil Gupta 30 minutes later
Her anger sometimes is for 2-3 hrs. Or sometimes for 1 day.. I asked her parents about when this kind of behaviour started.. they told it started from when she was 18. During her anger she sometimes hits herself and others too. Her anger always ends up with her crying a lot..
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for following up. From what you have mentioned, two possibilities emerge.

First one is that its is part of her personality and she has impulsivity as her personality trait. In that case, further evaluation of her personality will be warranted. Therapy for controlling impulsivity and anger outbursts will be needed.

Another possibility is intermittent explosive disorder in which a person becomes very irritable suddenly and is not able to control it. The person may regret his or her actions later on. Such problems can be rectified with medications like valproate or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

In either cases, the best way out will be to get a complete psychiatric evaluation of your wife in person. I am pretty sure that with adequate management, her anger issues can be resolved.

I do hope I was able to help you out in some way. Please let me know if you have any further query. In case you don't, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Gupta 3 hours later
Just one more thing.. you mentioned anti-depressants like escitalopram.. Do that thing be useful..
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reduces stress and depressive symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for following up. Anti-depressants including escitalopram will be beneficial in reducing underlying stress and improving mood. It might also be helpful in controlling the impulsivity and hence reducing the frequency of anger outbursts.

However, its main role will be to reduce any depressive symptoms that might be present. The decision to start it or not should be taken only after complete evaluation of your wife by a psychiatrist.

I do hope that answers your query. Please feel free to ask any further question that you may have. I will try my best to help you out with your doubts.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta