Suggest treatment for anemia

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i have been diagnosed with anamia for about the last year. i have had 2 colonoscopies and a pill cam screening. nothing major has been found. i have been taking an iron supplement but am still anemic. what else can be done to help with the anemia?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Refractory iron deficiency anemia

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

First of all, you should get a blood test of complete iron profile. If serum iron level is low , this means there is a problem in iron absorption which may be caused by H.pylori infection.

If serum iron level is high then you should get a haemoglobin electrophoresis test as you might be a carrier of thalassemia trait.

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask further

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee