Suggest treatment for anemia

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Question: my mother has msd her recent tests came back with wbc 2.8, rbc of 2.77, hgb 9.6, plt of 133,hct of 28.7 the doctor gave her a shot of aranesp. Just wondering what to expect.

oops mds
Answered by Dr. Monish De 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of anemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since your mother has msd and her recent blood tests are showing low levels of rbc and hgb a shot of Aranesp has been given by your doctor.
Normal range of rbc for women is 4.2 to 5.4 million/mcL which is 2.77 in your mothers case and normal range of hgb is 12.0 to 15.5 grams per deciliter which is 9.6 in your mothers case and both of them are low in your mothers blood.

Aranesp contains darbepoetin alfa which is a man-made form of a protein that helps your body produce red blood cells. The amount of this protein in your body may be reduced when you have kidney failure or use certain medications. When fewer red blood cells are produced, you can develop a condition called anemia.

The drug is used to treat anemia which is a lack of red blood cells in the body.

Do not use the the drug if your mother is having untreated or uncontrolled high blood pressure, heart disease, congestive heart failure and kidney disease.

Hope i have answered your query

DR De

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj