Suggest treatment for anal fistula

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have fistula problem , what medicine I can take to cure this
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is surgical. However, constipation needs to be controlled

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Anal fistula is usually associated with constipation. Although the treatment of fistula is surgical, you also need to get rid of constipation. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. Green leafy vegetables and other sources of dietary fibers contribute roughage which for the bulk of stool. Unless fiber intake is adequate, the gastrointestinal movement will be hampered and piles will result.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Avoid red meat.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Take Sitz bath. In a big tumbler take water as hot as your skin can take. Sit on it with your anal opening dipped.
* Taking Daflon tablet 500mg every 4 hours for 3 days followed by once every 8 hours for next 4 days should help in resolution of the problem.
* Topical anesthetic gel can be used.

Hope that helps. If it does not, you would need to go for surgery.

Let me know if I could help further.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 21 minutes later
Thank you very much, I had surgery but it discharges puss and getting pain while passing stool.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgical attention needed

Detailed Answer:
Often the surgical procedures need to be repeated. The present scenario calls for surgical attention.