• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anal cancer

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I had anal cancer and went through 5 weeks of radiation treatments which seemed to collapse my vaginal canal so that any insertion is only about 3". What can I do to fix this, I love sex and cannot have any intercourse now.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yoga and relaxation exercises can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The stricture of the vaginal canal is due to scarring in the area after a radiation treatment. The vascularity in the area decreases. Only a surgery can help to rebuild the area but that is difficult after radiation due to loss of elasticity in the area. Also any surgery can interfere with the nerve supply in the area thus affecting the sensations.
Only yoga relaxation exercises and gradual dilatation can help to some extent.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN